Friday, December 4, 2009

Fridays with my father

There came some point in my life when I realized I had two parents.

I have always been close to my mother. Very, very close. She's a part of me that is undeniable. We look alike, we talk alike...sometimes I wish I had a gun. A little gun. Extra points to those who understand that reference.

This is a brief entry, because it's an introduction; a teaser.

There came a moment where I realized I had a father. A wonderful being who is as much a part of me as anything in this world. There is no therapy that could help me understand myself as much as the time I spend with my dad. An amazing person. A flawed wild thing. From outside Minnesota. A half of me that I almost didn't believe I had.

I have so many things to say about this. But for now, for this moment, I only want to tell you that my father and I share a serious kinetic vibe. Something that passes over and beyond any distance we've created, or that has been born despite our intentions. Our Friday mornings bear stories. And there are so many to tell. He is wonderful and beautiful and I love him with all my heart. He is how I understand the world. And this next entry. The one I have yet to write. It's in that time that I will begin to explain what that love is all about. The day I realized I was like someone else other than the women I have known. And that thing, that person...was so, amazingly cool.

1 comment:

  1. Correction: "That person... *IS* so, amazingly cool."

    ReplyDelete